The ACLU of Louisiana seeks a full-time staff member to manage legal intake, conduct fact investigation, and assist with legal file management. This individual is a critical member of the legal team and maintains responsibility for:
- Processing and responding to requests for assistance, and ensuring intake records are accurate, up-to-date, and well organized;
- Conducting a preliminary analysis of intakes to screen requests that are not within the organization’s scope or mission, based upon criteria established by the legal team;
- Flagging and compiling potentially pertinent intakes for review at a weekly legal team meeting, or sooner if required;
- Meeting regularly with the legal team to discuss intakes, make recommendations, and discuss other support needed on intake decisions;
- Tracking significant civil rights and civil liberties issues and trends identified through requests for assistance or otherwise;
- Conducting factfinding to evaluate the merit of potential cases, including following up with intake sources and gathering and analyzing documents;
- Electronic legal file management and document management, including maintaining case calendars;
- Administrative support such as helping with logistical or travel arrangements, invoicing, budgeting, time tracking and income/expense reporting; and
- Working collaboratively to ensure that administrative and paralegal needs of the legal department are met.
This position is supervised by the Legal Director.
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Passion for order and task completion;
- Personal initiative, drive and optimism;
- Solution-oriented mindset;
- Ability to independently troubleshoot and problem solve for team administrative needs;
- Dependability and punctuality;
- Willingness to work long hours in urgent situations;
- Strong computer and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to manage up and hold other staff accountable for meeting timelines and responsibilities;
- Capacity and willingness to work in an environment that encourages and includes individuals from diverse backgrounds; and
- Dedication to civil rights and civil liberties of fellow Louisianans.
Additional helpful (but not required) skills include experience working with lawyers and legal files, fluency in Spanish, and experience in social justice advocacy work.
How to Apply:
Please submit a letter of interest, your resume and three references (identifying their relationships to you) to email@example.com. Please put “Intake and Investigation Paralegal” in your subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis beginning December 15, 2019.
The ACLU is a nationwide, non-profit, non-partisan organization dedicated to the defense and expansion of civil liberties and civil rights. The Louisiana affiliate of the ACLU works in the courts, legislature and communities of our State to advance the rights of all Louisianans.
The ACLU is an equal opportunity employer that values a diverse workforce and inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital or family status, citizenship, disability or veteran status.